The pаin in the back can be highly debilitating, and it can aggravate even the easiest daily tasks. Sciatica pаin is manifested all along the sciatic nerve, from the back, down the buttocks, to one or both the legs.
The most common symptoms of sciatica pаin include intense pаin, numbness, weakness, and even tingling which start from the lower back to the legs.
In most cases, patients experience a combination of the following symptoms:
- Pаin which is aggravated while sitting
- A tingling, burning pain in the leg
- Intense pain in one side of the buttock or one leg
- A sharp pain which causes difficulties walking and standing
- Weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg or foot
The main cause of sciatica is an irritation or compression in the lumbar spine. Also, it can be a result of herniation in the lumbar spine, which is the part of the spine which is bending inward, near the lower-middle back.
Yet, the main cause of this painful condition is piriformis. Namely, the piriformis muscle is a small muscle placed deeply in the area of the buttock, which spasms and leads to buttock pаin.This muscle might also irritate the nerves surrounding it, and thus lead to numbness, tingling, and pаin in the feet and legs.